New Delhi 110021, India
Mr. Kachwaha’s practice focuses on corporate commercial laws, infrastructure projects, litigation and arbitration. He figures as a Band One lawyer in the Chambers Asia Arbitration Section from 2009 onwards. He also figures in Who’s Who International in five sections: Arbitration; Construction; Procurement; Government Contracts and Asset Recovery. Mr. Kachwaha figures as a “Leading Individual” in the Dispute Resolution section of the Asia Pacific Legal 500. He also ranks in IBLJ’s “A List” of “India’s Top 35 Lawyers”.
He has handled landmark litigation including the Union Carbide (Bhopal Gas Leak) case, where he worked directly under the team leader Mr. F.S. Nariman. This keenly contested case was then the largest damages action ever in the world.
Mr. Sumeet Kachwaha has also appeared as an expert witness on Indian law in landmark matters before the Courts of England & Singapore.
Appointed amicus curiae by the High Court of Delhi in the Vodafone – India Bilateral Investment treaty dispute arbitration (decision of the court dated 7th May, 2018 generously acknowledges Mr. Kachwaha’s assistance).
Mr. Sumeet Kachwaha’s News X ‘Legally Speaking’ interview on Arbitration telecast on 5th August, 2017 (View here).
Mr. Sumeet Kachwaha’s News X ‘Legally Speaking’ interview on Public Interest Litigation telecast on 9th July, 2017 (View here).
Mr. Sumeet Kachwaha’s academic writings have been referenced by the Law Commission of India in its Report dated February 2015 [Supplementary to Report No. 246 on Amendments to Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996]
- “Sumeet Kachwaha at Kachwaha & Partners is identified by respondents as one of India’s top construction arbitration specialists. His speciality lies in international infrastructure disputes, with nearly 40 years’ experience in the area.”
Who’s Who Legal – Construction (2019)
- “Senior partner Sumeet Kachwaha is a standout name in both litigation and arbitration, and one interviewee reveals that ‘he is my first port of call for Indian legal issues’…”
Chambers Asia 2012 – Dispute Resolution Section
- “[ ] at London says: I have also been enormously impressed by Mr. Kachwaha’s obvious in-depth and wide – ranging knowledge and expertise….”
IBLJ Report declaring Kachwaha & partners a Winner  in the Dispute Resolution category.
- “Sumeet Kachwaha is revered in the alternative dispute circuit, with peers acknowledging him as ‘one of the top guys in arbitration’. He also handles litigation cases and is acclaimed by clients for being ‘very responsive, with clear and concise legal advise’..”
Chamber Asia-Pacific 2015 – Dispute Resolution Section
- “Sumeet Kachwaha is recommended for his ‘command of the law and utmost integrity.’ Sources add, ‘he is entirely incorruptible – one can trust him with anything.’….”
Chambers Global 2008 -Dispute Resolution Section
- “Sumeet Kachwaha, head of the litigation and dispute resolution department, is a notable name in arbitration and litigation, and overseas lawyers recommend him ‘for any India-specific matter, particularly in cases where it’s almost an unsolvable issue’…”
Benchmark Asia – Pacific (2013)
- “International counsel are impressed with the lawyers, who ‘know their way around a courtroom, and give good input on strategy’. The ‘proactive and imaginative’ Sumeet Kachwaha is highly rated for both litigation and arbitration. ‘He is unflappable, no matter how stressful it gets,’ say interviewees, adding that ‘he is totally straightforward’ … ”
Chambers Asia 2011-Dispute Resolution Section
- “Sumeet Kachwaha attracts praise as a “prominent lawyer” with nearly 40 years’ experience in this space and expertise spanning the whole spectrum of disputes. He is particularly noted for his handling of high-profile arbitrations and litigations covering such issues as asset recovery, construction and government contract. One source observing that when it comes to arbitration, ‘he has a good command of whatever he does.’ ”
(Chambers Asia 2018 – Dispute Resolution Section)
- says … a partner at Singaporean law firm Wong Partnership. ‘We had a very good working experience and we were very satisfied’. ‘Sumeet Kachwaha provided us with very good inputs on Indian laws as well as overall strategy.’ Peter Rosell, legal counsel for Topsoe in Denmark, agrees: ‘In view of his and his office’s experience and high standing in India and in London we chose to engage him (Kachwaha) to assist us in a matter …… in New Delhi.’ ‘Their analytical ability and knowledge of the specifics of the relevant law and reference cases was impressive.’…”
[Indian Business Law Journal (Hong Kong) – 2009)]
- “In relation to Kachwaha & Partners disputes team, one client reports: ‘Sumeet has been very excellent. He is very responsive and his advice is clear.’ ‘Sumeet Kachwaha is a prominent figure who is well known as counsel for both litigation and arbitration matters.’..”
Chambers Asia 2011 – Dispute Resolution Section
- The 2010 & 2011 Editorial Section of Who’s Who Legal (Construction) states: “In India, Sumeet Kachwaha of Kachwaha & Partners is ‘very personable’ and ‘gives very clear advice’. He specialises in issues related to infrastructure projects…”.